Please review and agree before requesting an eMentor.
1. Purpose of FamilyLife eMentoring®
FamilyLife's eMentoring program should provide the occasion for individuals to engage in a mentoring relationship through the use of email to accomplish the goal of assisting others to develop both personally and spiritually.
The functional result sought from FamilyLife eMentoring is waking up men and women to their identity and role in the Kingdom of God.
Basis: II Timothy 3:16-17 shows the Bible as the foundation of right and wrong, how to get things right, and how to keep them right. 1 Thessalonians 5:14 also tells us to use wisdom in determining how to respond to each person: “And we urge you, brethren, admonish the unruly, encourage the fainthearted, help the weak, be patient with all men.”
This all begins with engaging, equipping, and encouraging the eMentor who, in turn, invites the eMentee into an ongoing dialogue where he/she can also be engaged, equipped, and encouraged.
2. What FamilyLife eMentoring - basic definitions:
3. What FamilyLife eMentoring is not
- An eMentor is a person who takes a special interest in helping an eMentee to develop as a person and as a believer. He/she is particularly helpful in times of crisis when a listening ear and a guiding hand are needed.
- An eMentee is an individual who seeks to engage a more experienced person who is willing to commit to him/her to be a dependable listener and advisor who draws upon both the Word of God and his/her personal experience to help the eMentee develop wisdom, stability and dependence upon God.
FamilyLife eMentoring is not a counseling service and no professional advice or services are offered on this site.
WHILE WE HOPE THAT YOU WILL BE ENCOURAGED AND HELPED BY THE ADVICE OFFERED ON FAMILYLIFE’S EMENTORING WEBSITE, PLEASE BE AWARE THAT IT IS NOT A PROFESSIONAL SERVICE. BY CLICKING ON THIS AGREEMENT, YOU AGREE THAT FAMILYLIFE, ITS AFFILIATES, STAFF OR SPONSORS ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY SITUATION THAT OCCURS AS A RESULT OF, OR IS NEGATIVELY INFLUENCED BY, ADVICE OR ANSWERS GIVEN.
THE RESPONSES REFLECT THE PERSONAL EXPERIENCE AND BELIEFS OF OUR EMENTORS. WHILE ALL EMENTORS ARE SCREENED AND EVERY PRECAUTION IS TAKEN, FAMILYLIFE, ITS AFFILIATES, STAFF OR SPONSORS WILL NOT BE RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY SITUATION THAT OCCURS AS A RESULT OF, OR IS NEGATIVELY INFLUENCED BY, ADVICE OR ANSWERS GIVEN.
4. How We Select eMentors
FamilyLife's eMentors are sought based on a number of beneficial characteristics, including: spiritual growth, relational maturity, emotional stability, compassion, heart of prayer, trust in God, availability, teachability, transparency, humility, desire to share Christ, basic computer skills. eMentor candidates must agree in writing to the following before beginning eMentor training:
5. How We Train eMentors
- Statement of Faith
- The Family Manifesto
- FamilyLife eMentoring Website Description and Policies [this document]
- FamilyLife eMentoring Website Confidentiality Requirement, including an agreement not to attempt to individually contact eMentees outside of the FamilyLife eMentoring site.
FamilyLife's eMentors are trained in the following areas:
6. Legal Notices
- Prayer: Equipping eMentors to pray online in written form.
- Biblical Constructs/Principles: Assisting in developing a grasp of constructs deemed most important for conducting biblical eMentoring which promotes a basic theology and provides a practical structure for this outreach.
- Evangelism: Equipping eMentors to share the essentials of the Gospel in their email responses.
- Discipleship: Equipping eMentors in personal spiritual growth and how to disciple others.
- Support & Encouragement: eMentors are NOT counselors but must be equipped to engage eMentees in such a way that they might experience the love of God. There is “no condemnation,” but instead encouragement to seek God’s promise through His Son, Jesus Christ. The eMentor offers Christ-centered solutions to life’s challenges and difficulties through genuine encouragement, a listening ear, timely questions, and direction to the Scriptures.
- Resourcing & referring: Equipping the eMentor with approved resources online (e.g. FamilyLife’s “Mentor Guide”). FamilyLife’s training will include familiarizing eMentors with the helps and tools available to them, thus providing guardrails for eMentors and for FamilyLife’s confidence and safety.
DISCLAIMER: FLTI, DBA FAMILYLIFE (“FAMILYLIFE”) EMENTORING SITE PROVIDES NO PROFESSIONAL ADVICE OR PROFESSIONAL COUNSELING SERVICES. THE RESPONSES OF EMENTORS REFLECT THE PERSONAL EXPERIENCE AND BELIEFS OF OUR EMENTORS. FAMILYLIFE CANNOT AND MAY NOT ALWAYS CLOSELY SUPERVISE ITS EMENTORS. WHILE ALL EMENTORS ARE SCREENED AND PRECAUTION IS TAKEN, FAMILYLIFE, ITS AFFILIATES, STAFF OR SPONSORS CANNOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY SITUATION THAT OCCURS AS A RESULT OF, OR IS NEGATIVELY INFLUENCED BY, ADVICE OR ANSWERS GIVEN. THE RESOURCES THAT YOU VIEW OR RECEIVE ON THIS SITE ARE FOR SUPPORT AND GUIDANCE ONLY. THEY ARE NOT INTENDED TO GIVE AUTHORITATIVE ADVICE, NOR SHOULD THEY BE SEEN AS A REPLACEMENT FOR PROFESSIONAL COUNSELING. THESE RESOURCES ARE BEST SEEN AS A BEGINNING POINT FOR THOSE WHO ARE INTERESTED IN GETTING HELP. BY REGISTERING FOR THIS SITE AND CLICKING “I AGREE” ON THIS AGREEMENT, YOU EXPRESSLY RELEASE AND DISCLAIM FAMILYLIFE FROM ANY LIABILITY AS A RESULT OF THE USE OF THIS EMENTORING WEBSITE.
No Guarantee of Service: Every attempt will be made to answer all questions in a timely fashion, however we cannot guarantee an immediate response and we reserve the right not to answer and/or to discard at our discretion any question deemed to be unsuitable.
FamilyLife maintains complete discretion over the scope and duration of any eMentoring relationship. Since eMentors are not professionals and are not providing professional or therapeutic services, the eMentoring site is designed to be limited in scope and focused to push people in the right direction. Therefore, the number of communications between the eMentor and eMentee will be limited at FamilyLife’s sole discretion.
Special Rules for Children. We do not knowingly collect personally identifiable information from children. The services of the Site are designed for individuals over the age of 18, and minors are not allowed to register.
CONFIDENTIALITY: The eMentoring software utilized on this site will aid in crucial areas that will retain anonymity for both the eMentor and eMentee during dialogue thread exchanges.
In order for FamilyLife’s eMentors to better walk alongside you, all eMentors have Community Leaders who engage, equip, and encourage them as they serve you. For this reason, your question and the answer provided may be viewed by and/or edited by your mentor’s Community Leader to better assist you.
Your question and the answer provided may also be edited and posted online. Your name and any identifying details will be removed before the question is posted. If you would prefer your question not be posted, please indicate this in your original question.
Reporting Policy: All eMentors will immediately report any situation arising from the eMentoring relationship that involves or potentially involves instances of abuse of any type, child endangerment, or the commission of a crime. The report will be made by the trained eMentor according to the established protocol of FamilyLife which is subject to the reporting requirements of the state or jurisdiction in which the alleged incident occurred or is occurring.
Complaint Procedure: If you have a concern about your eMentoring experience, feel free to contact us at email@example.com. This email address will be accessed by the eMentoring Management Team and addressed through prayerful consideration, Community Leader involvement, and per protocols established to keep eMentors within the guardrails as we all seek to glorify God through this outreach.
Please review our Privacy Statement.
BY SUBMITTING AN EMENTOR REQUEST, YOU AGREE THAT FAMILYLIFE, ITS AFFILIATES, STAFF OR SPONSORS ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY SITUATION THAT OCCURS AS A RESULT OF, OR IS NEGATIVELY INFLUENCED BY, ADVICE OR ANSWERS GIVEN.