In recent years we’ve seen an astonishing shift in how our culture views homosexuality and same-sex marriage. In this confusing climate it’s important for followers of Christ to know what to think and how to respond. What do the Scriptures say? How should we respond when others challenge our convictions? What should we teach our children?
Here at FamilyLife, we continue to affirm God’s design for marriage. We stand for the truth of Scripture and teach the biblical blueprints for marriage and family. Yet we also are committed to being winsome and compassionate to everyone–including those who disagree with us. We believe in respecting the dignity of every person created in God’s image. All of us need God’s grace and forgiveness.
Now more than ever, Christians should know how to affirm the truth of Scripture while also “speaking the truth in love” (Ephesians 4:15). To help you learn more about responding biblically on this issue, we have gathered a number of our most helpful articles, books, and FamilyLife Today® broadcasts onto this page.
We hope these resources will give you biblical insight, confidence, and hope in the knowledge that God is in control no matter what happens. And as you interact with others, remember to keep your conduct honorable so that others “may see your good deeds and glorify God…” (1 Peter 2:12).
Special FamilyLife Today broadcasts
1. In the first of three special programs, Dennis Rainey and Bob Lepine talk about the U.S. Supreme Court decision on June 26, 2015 to legalize same-sex marriage in all 50 states. And Dennis discusses some issues that concern him even more.
2. Bob Lepine begins a message on “Do we have it wrong as Christians when it comes to marriage, gender, and sexuality?” He affirms that God’s Word is clear about sexuality and about how Christians should engage others on the subject.
3. “This Is It … or Is It?”: With the Supreme Court’s decision regarding United States’ marriage laws, the furor around the redefinition of marriage will finally die down … or will it? Bob Lepine concludes his message on marriage, gender, and sexuality.
Understanding the biblical design for marriage and sexuality
2. Read “Why We Oppose Same-Sex Marriage,” an article by Dennis Rainey and Bob Lepine
4. Listen to pastor Kevin DeYoung on FamilyLife Today as he helps listeners understand Scriptural truths about homosexuality. And order his book, What Does the Bible Really Teach About Homosexuality?
Understanding a larger cultural perspective
Read Dennis Rainey’s article, “Three Issues That Grieve Me More than the Supreme Court Decision Redefining Marriage.”
Engaging others with love and compassion
2. Read Bob Lepine’s article, “Reaching Out with Compassion.”
3. In “Out of a Far Country” guests Angela Yuan and her son, Christopher, describe what happened after Christopher told his parents about his homosexuality. Also purchase the book from our online store.